- Gaythorne Sub Branch Inc.
534 Samford Road
Mitchelton, QLD 4053
- Directions here
Sub Branch History
The following history of the Gaythorne RSL Sub-Branch is based on the recollections of Norm Cox who was an original member of the Mitchelton sub-branch and a foundation member of the Gaythorne sub-branch.
The Mitchelton RSL was formed in about 1947 by a group of World War II diggers who were looking for the opportunity to get together and share a beer or two on Sunday. In those days it was a long trip from Alderley to the Samford pub, so a local watering hole was definitely needed. For some years they met most Sundays at the Mitchelton Hall behind where the Gaythorne RSL now stands. In about 1952 the group had grown and was looking to establish a more permanent association, build a club house and secure a liquor license.
Little is known about Enoggera, but their start was probably quite similar to Mitchelton. A bunch of diggers looking for mateship and a few cold beers. The men met regularly at the Enoggera School of Arts in Wardell Street.
In about 1952-53 the two groups met at the Mitchelton Hall to iron out the combining of the two groups into one club with enough clout to convince the Licensing Board to give them a license. After about an hour, maybe two, of sometimes heated debate on the subject of what to call the new club, Norm Cox, half joking, raised his hand and said “Why not meet half-way and call it the Gaythorne RSL? After all that’s half-way between Enoggera and Mitchelton.” The motion was put and quickly seconded by Allan Bailey and the vote was carried. The new club was officially the Gaythorne RSL Club.